Monday, April 18, 2011

FEEL THE MUSIC

  Hope that you all had a great weekend.
   My topic hit me yesterday when I watched women over 60 and young girls as young as 5 praise dancing at church. Different music has different feelings and meanings to them. Like music by Gucci Mane or Lil Wyane makes the "gangsters" feel like they are hard and make them feel like The Incredible Hulk or Frank Lucas. Luther Vandross or Baby Face would/ still get couples in the mood for love making.
   As I watched these women and kids move to the words of the music, it kept my attention and made me really listen and feel the words through dance. Every movement corresponded with all the words that were in those songs. "Words are powerful", someone told me that as a younster. If the song was about hate, I would've left there knowing what the song was talking about. Listen to some of the words, instead of the beat and you'll know what's being said in every lyric of a song. Some of us might need that movement to better explain these words that artist are saying today. I know if Souja Boy didn't do the steps to Superman, I would not known what he was saying nor talking about. But throw on some Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, Too Short, UGK, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Mint Condition, Scarface, Boyz to Men, Al Green, Sam Cooke, Anthony Hamilton(who's underrated), etc.., I can go on and on, I already know what they're talking about.
    Yes I listen to Gospel: Kirk Franklin, John P. Kee, Mary Mary, Hezekiah Walker and more others too. But listen to what these rappers are saying today's music and that's what our kids are listening to and half of it, you need a ebonics dictonary to know what they're rapping about: all the same, money (that half don't have), cars(some still riding with mama or borrowing her car), dope (half of them don't know what it really looks like or how it is made), houses (most still stay in the projects), and women (don't have those). BIG LOL. So tell your kids, this is for entertainment purposes. 85% of these artist don't have none of these things. Just listen to the radio one day rather it's in your car, desk, home or where ever and listen to the lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment